Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Interview with Guest Writer H.L.Allen


What are you currently studying?
 I study Creative and Professional Writing at the moment. I also chose TESOL, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, as my two other modules and I Shakespeare as an extra.

What are your plans/aspirations for the future?
Primarily, I want to be a fiction author. However I've got other plans, such as teaching English in foreign countries, reaching Executive National Vice President with "Arbonne" and, finally, travelling the world. Also own a lot of cats and sit on top of a moving train!

Who is your favourite Author?
That's a tricky one. I'm not entirely sure, there are a lot of contenders, but the top three are J R R Tolkien, J K Rowling and Terry Pratchett.

If you were to be stuck on an island with any character from any book, who would it be and why?
I would say Loki from Marvel Cinematic Universe but he'd probably kill me, which wouldn't be too good. Probably Legolas from the Lord of The Rings, he built a boat before so he could do it again.

What’s the meaning behind your short story?
I've always been fond of dark undertones in literature and I like things not set in modern day society. The Victorian era has always fascinated me and I liked the idea of a twisted not-so-healthy sibling relationship in a time when women were seen as objects, so the sister in the story is trying to break out of society's bonds. She just happens to do it out of love for her brother and the death of a high standing citizen, of course the siblings are both mentally messed up and not really a good example of a working family.

If you were born with an animal’s tail (as are all humans in this scenario) what tail would it be and why?
Oh man, this is hard to answer. Probably a peacock's tail because they're so pretty!

Have you got any Novels in the making?
Actually, I've fully written one novel and have started another. I have about 13 trilogies planned out, as you can probably tell, I don't like to stop working.

If you won the lottery and could design one amazing room, what would it be like and what would you have in it?
I would totally have a secret room! One that only I knew about and it would have really old bookcases and a massive fireplace, a fridge for snacks would be cool too and a bed for my cats.

Apart from the story you've provided, what’s the piece of writing you are most proud of and why? 
My novel. It's long, it's dark and it's weird. The main character is an annoying, completely unreliable illegitimate heir to the throne and the merry band of misfits that make up her entourage are, for lack of a better term, dangerous. They have very little hope of saving the world but they're giving it their best shot.

How do you create characters?
I tend to take aspects of my friends and then build them from there. Usually, I add as many flaws as possible and then put them in different scenarios, by then the characters sort of choose what they want to do instead of me. It's quite strange actually, I'll be doing something and then one of them says something in my thoughts. Someone once said "If the voices in my head stopped talking, I wouldn't be a writer." I think that's the perfect quote. But of course, the best way to find out what your characters are made of is to break them.

I would like to once again thank H.L.Allen for her time and hopefully I will get an excerpt of her novel for the blog.
Neil M Stevens.

No comments:

Post a Comment